Just as many secondary school students continue writing the 2026 West African Senior School Certificate Examination (WASSCE), concerns around stability at the West African Examinations Council (WAEC) have quietly entered the conversation.
Although WAEC workers have suspended their nationwide protest over alleged unfair labour practices and welfare concerns, the union says the dispute is far from settled and fresh industrial action remains possible if issues are not addressed.
The workers, under the umbrella of the Non-Academic Staff Union of Educational and Associated Institutions, staged a three-day protest that disrupted activities at WAEC’s national office in Yaba, Lagos, before ending on Friday.
After the protest was suspended, NASU-WAEC Chairman, Kayode Ogunyade, said the union had narrowed its demands to one major issue — the removal of WAEC’s Head of National Office, Amos Dangut.
“The only subject we have now is that we have decided to put aside all other demands. We are now asking for one demand,” Ogunyade said.
Asked what the demand was, he replied, “The one demand which is our distinct demand now is that Dangut must go. That is the song we are singing now.”
According to Ogunyade, the decision came after meetings with stakeholders and management failed to produce any meaningful agreement.
He said discussions involving the WAEC Pension Welfare Association and management after Thursday’s protest ended without results.
“At the end of the whole meeting, we could not achieve any results. We changed our song on Friday. We changed our agenda,” he said.
Despite suspending the protest, Ogunyade noted that workers are still considering their next move and waiting for directives from the union’s national leadership.
“The next line of action will be the next line of action. We are the ones that survived the previous protests. We have the potential to do it again,” he stated.
Still, he confirmed that workers had resumed duties and that examinations would continue.
“Yes, everybody is back to work,” he said, adding, “Exams will still go on.”
The protest, which started on Wednesday, saw workers march from WAEC headquarters in Yaba to the council’s Special Printing Division in Somolu while chanting solidarity songs and carrying placards.
The workers accused management of intimidation, discriminatory practices and poor welfare conditions.
Ogunyade had earlier alleged that union members faced victimisation after a previous strike over minimum wage issues in December 2024.
He also criticised what he described as growing workload pressure amid declining manpower, noting that WAEC officials cover all 774 local government areas during examinations.
The union further raised concerns over recruitment practices, disciplinary procedures and career progression within the council.
WAEC, however, maintained that the ongoing 2026 WASSCE has not been disrupted.
The council said examination activities remained seamless despite the protest and explained that adjustments to the examination timetable were linked to a reduction in subjects from 76 to 38.
WAEC also denied allegations of indiscriminate dismissals and unfair sanctions, insisting disciplinary measures followed official regulations.
Credit: ThePunch











































































EduTimes Africa, a product of Education Times Africa, is a magazine publication that aims to lend its support to close the yawning gap in Africa's educational development.